Key to Exercise
4. Complete the sentences by translating the Chinese in the brackets
2. differently, different
4. serious, serious, seriously
5. seriousness, seriously polluted
6. Fortunately/ Luckily, pollution, seriously, pollute
4 Translate the following sentences using words and expressions taken from the text.
They took advantage of our helpless situation and took over our company.
Although there are still difficulties ahead of us, I am sure that we Chinese people will have the wisdom to bring abou t the peaceful unification of our country on our own.
It is wrong to put emphasis on nothing but GDP. It will give rise to many serious problems.
He loves to show off his wealth, but this is all in vain. People still avoid him as though he were poison.
He soon fell in love with the village and was determined to make it a beautiful garden together with other villagers.
We must spend more money fighting against global warming. In addition, we must resort to tough laws. It is not just a matter of money.
When the police arrive at the school, the students and the teachers were still in a daze.
This corrupt official was still clinging to his power. He refused to step aside.
When the man finally came into view, I found it was my father. I didn’t know how he managed to find this place in the blinding snow. At that moment, I burst into tears.
She glanced at him from time to time. It was the first time in her life that she had found herself looking at a young like that.
5. Fill u in the blanks with the correct prepositions or adverbs
7 up for 8. out 9. with
10. of 11. of 12. of 13. up
3. Fill in the blanks with ONE suitable word.
8. number 9. habit 10. go
4 Translate the following sentences into English
Before I came to/ entered college, I had never thought life at college would be so rich and interesting.
Most of the Chinese college students born in the 1990s are the only child of their families.
All those who know him admire him for his hard work.
I missed the class because I didn’t know it had moved up to Thursday.
In some countries, those who are overweight will be punished one way or another.
Soon after the fire, those who had lost their homes were taken to a place of safety.
When we met again, we found we both had changed a lot.
A team of experts headed by Professor Li will soon come and help farmers solve their problems.
The field planted with tomatoes used to be wasteland.
Our teacher told us to read books written by such masters as Mao Dun and Ba Jin.
3 Translate the following expressions
4. Complete the sentences by translating the Chinese in the brackets.
1. represent, represented
2. employer, unemployed, employees, reemployed
3. well-informed, information
4. informer, inform, authorities
5. complaints, complain, unemployment
7. insulting, insult
9. be insulted
2 Complete the following verb + noun collocations or expressions
1 mind (his own business)
2 plant / grow / harvest / reap (the rice)
3 dig / sink (a well)
4. (catch) fish / birds / crabs / mice/ a thief / a cold / the meaning / the disease
5 till / improve / conserve (the soil)
6 plough (the field)
7 (condemn) the enemy / the killings
8 (attract) attention / interest / criticism
9 (gather) flowers/ nuts / information /troops
4. Fill in the blanks with correct prepositions and adverbs
(1) in, of, with, at, with, about/of, to, of, on, to
(2) of, for, from, till, on, after, against/from, in
(3) to, in, of, of, for, to, for, in, to,
(4) down, over, with
(5) by, over,
(6) along, with, across
(7) around/ round, away, with
(8) to, up, off, off, on
5 Translate the following sentences, using the link +predicative pattern
Zhu Yingtai had to (was forced to) obey her father and marry the young master of the rich Ma family although she was extremely unwilling. She was heartbroken.
The man had never seen such a large note. He said, “It looks good, feels good, and it is good.”
Leaves had turned/got/gone/become yellow, red and purple, It really looked heavenly beautiful (beautiful like heaven). 4. 随着年纪越来越老，她开始容易感到疲惫。
As she grew older, she began to feel tired easily.
What he said sounded very convincing, but reasons that sound good do not always mean good sound reasons. There is a big difference between the two.
He likes to talk. He can never keep quiet, and what he says often proves (turns out to be) incorrect.
He got wounded in battle, lost a lot of blood, and became very weak. His leaders ordered him to stay in the hospital until he was completely recovered ( healed).
They thought they could slip through our fingers. They were wrong. They couldn’t get away with what they had done. 9. 长征的时候，红军需要越过大渡河，穿越草地，翻过雪山。
During the Long March, the Red Army had to get across the Dadu River, through the grassland and over the sown-covered mountains.
Are you used to the life there? How do you get along with your classmates? Can you get by with the money we send you? (Is the money we send you enough for you?)
7 Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the appropriate word or phrase in the brackets.
9 occurred,taken place/happened/occurred10 happen,take place Grammar
3. Fill in each blank of the passage with ONE suitable word
1. trying 2 enough 3 brought 4 without 5 first 6 simple 7 any
8 times 9 in 10 only
4 Translate the following sentence using sentence patterns o f unreal condition or as.
1. If you had arrived ten minutes earlier, you could have caught the train.
2. Your father would have forgiven you if you had told him the truth.
3. If it hadn’t snowed heavily, I would have taken you along to yesterday’s party.
4. If there had been more rain in spring, the harvest would have been much better.
5. If they hadn’t learned a lesson from their failure, they wouldn’t have achieved so much.
6. If my family hadn’t supported me, I wouldn’t have taken part in this contest.
7. Many people think that China’s Great Wall is one of the seven wonders of the ancient world,.
8. As so often happens, misfortunes/troubles never come singly/alone.
9. As is often the case with many first-year college students, Jim finds it hard to adapt to the life at college.
10. As is reported, the president will visit five African countries next month.
5 Identify and correct the mistake(s)
1. Supermarkets have sprung up everywhere in Beijing since the 1990s.
2. The old lady finds the shop filled with goods she has no use for.
3. If I had had time, I would have joined you for dinner yesterday.
4. The old couple told me that they had nothing to complain abou t.
5. My grandfather advised me to apply to Nanjing University for admission.
(or: My grandfather suggested that I apply to Nanjing University for admission.)
6. He went back to work as soon as he was back on his feet.
7. He said he would pass on the message to all his friends.
8. We might have finished our work by 5 pm if the manager had not interfered.
9. Any country will sooner or later fall behind if it fails to keep up with the times.
10. Maybe it is fate that brought my children back to our hometown.
2 Complete the following verb + noun collocation or expression
1. fit the (description; lock; theory)
2. (make; receive; have; get; answer ) a telephone call
3.(make; have; arrange; keep; break) an appointment
4. risk (failure; life; health)
5. affect the (health; future; economy; result; decision)
6. raise (hell; hands; eyes; a finger; voice; glass; wages; prices; hope; issue)
7. save (time; money; trouble; life; face; country)
8. wave (a gun; arms; hand; flag; cloth)
9. (do) harm
10 bite (one’ lip; one’s nails; none’s tongue)
11. (take; seize; miss; gives; have; get) chances
12. cover (a table; one’s body; somebody; ground; field; anger; all subjects; all expenses; many miles; pages)
5 Rewrite the following sentence using the words or expressions in the brackets.
1. He did not fit the description of a great scholar. For one thing, he was half naked. For another, he slept by the roadside of a busy city, hardly a setting for a philosopher.
2. I wish I knew how they learned about this secret missile.
3. Her face suggested a ripened apple, and she was otherwise very strong except for the loss of both her leg.
4. They made an appointment in a restaurant that evening, where the waiter quickly slipped a note into the spy’s hand concerning he secret message.
5. We waited for almost one hour and the food we ordered still did not come. I decided to raise the devil with the management.
6. The government has promised that it will not hesitate to punish those who deal in cheating, gambling, black marketeering, and prostitution.
7. Had the authorities aggressed with the plan, it would have brought a lot of problem. Luckily, it was turned down and no harm had been done.
8. We must make sure that the nuclear power stations are absolutely safe. We can’t take chances.
9. I think we should mind our own business. But I will check on him anyway.
6 Translate the following sentences into English
Don’t let them take it for granted that we will accept their conditions/terms. We are no fools, and we won’t be so easily taken in.
It took us only three years to double the income of our villagers.